Pages

Friday, February 2, 2007

…and I’ll also miss Suzuki

As if to add insult to injury, this strep throat will also mean I miss the chance to speak for a few minutes as Dr. David Suzuki’s “If YOU were Prime Minister” event this weekend.

David Suzuki was a childhood hero of sorts to me. The Nature of Things was a staple in our household and much of my love for the outdoors was fostered there then encouraged by my parents. Can there be a better way to spend a warm summer day than out in the wood flipping old logs in a search for red spotted newts? I was really looking forward to meeting him.

Event wise, I’d been writing my short speech for about two weeks. The speech itself focused on how experiences in the arts, particularly as children, lead to deeper understandings of our physical world. These understandings help to inform our adult imaginations and our ability to consider the environment in past, current, and future tenses, but also allow greater freedom in also imagining future consequences and solutions. These skills, when fostered in a generation of children, cannot but help to make for a better world.

Perhaps I’ll finish the speech anyway, and post it here for anyone who might have been interested to here it at UPEI on Saturday.

0 comments: